For some people with acne comes dark spots. For others dark spots can come from over exposure to the sun. Either way, they are tough to deal with. Especially if you have acne. The good news is that you can start using natural home remedies for acne to clear up your skin and fade dark spots at the same time.
Tips to prevent dark spots and acne. To protect your skin from the sun wear a hat to shade your face and neck when going outside for a prolonged period of time. Everyday wear sunscreen or a moisturizer with SPF 30 or higher that won’t clog pores. Avoid picking at popped pimples. Wait until a pimple has fully formed (when it’s about to burst on its own) before popping. Drinking at least eight, eight ounce glasses of fluid each day will also help with dark spots and acne.
For the following dark spot remedies we recommend to pick one moisturizer remedy and one acidic remedy for dark spots. Use the acidic remedy as described and then apply the moisturizer remedy. Stick with the remedies you pick for at least three months before ruling them out as a home remedy for dark spots and acne. Before applying a dark spot remedy wash your face with a plain gentle cleanser (one that does not contain salicylic acid).
Moisturizer home remedies for dark spots and acne.
The following are natural moisturizers that will help fade dark spots, and keep the skin from drying out. This helps with acne because dry skin can cause the body to overproduce oil to compensate for dry skin.
- Apply extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) using a cotton swab. Apply enough for a slight glisten.
- Use about a quarter cup of ground up unflavored oatmeal and three to four table spoons of water to make a moisturizer paste. Apply to the entire face then let the remedy sit for about a minute then rinse.
Moisturizer remedies can be applied daily. Apply EVOO at night because of the smell.
Acidic home remedies for dark spots and acne.
The following are acidic remedies for fading dark spots. Acidic remedies help with the over production of oil, kill acne causing bacteria and over time reduce inflammation and redness.
- Grind or blend a fresh orange peel (do not use a peel that has turned yellow-brownish) and mix it with water to make a paste. Apply for fifteen to twenty minutes then rinse with water.
- Grind or blend a quarter cup fresh green parsley (not greenish-brown) mixed in water to make a paste. Apply for fifteen to twenty minutes then rinse with warm water.
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice on a cotton ball in circular motions for about a minute then rinse with warm water.
- Mash up a few ripe clean strawberries up in a bowl with a fork and apply the juice to your face rubbing in circular motions for about a minute then rinse with warm water.
- Add a quarter cup of ground oatmeal to strawberry juice for a strawberry oatmeal face mask.
- Dissolve a few uncoated aspirin in two tablespoons of water. Add a teaspoon of aloe Vera or honey to make a salicylic acid aspirin mask. Apply and let dry for fifteen minutes then rinse with water.
- Rinse with a cup of water, quarter cup of salt, and tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar.
- Mix a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in a cup of water for a dark spot remedy drink.
- Another home remedy for dark spots drink is green tea. Drink a lot of green tea to see results. Drink four to five cups of green tea for an acne and dark spot remedy.
- Green tea also works topically. Use cooled green tea as a wash to treat dark spots and acne.
To avoid drying out your skin incorporate one of the acidic remedies into your skin care routine but do not apply it daily. If you have dry or sensitive skin use one topically once a week. If you have average to oily skin use one twice a week. In the winter use acidic remedies less often. Don’t forget to apply a moisturizer or one of the moisturizer remedies mentioned after using an acidic remedy to counter the drying effects. If you apply an acidic remedy in the morning use a moisturizer that doesn’t clog pores and contains SPF 30 or higher in it before going out. Acidic remedies make the skin sensitive to the sun so they are best applied at night.
More home remedies for dark spots and acne.
Warm honey fades dark spots and treats acne. Heat up one to two tablespoons of honey in a microwave safe container for three to five seconds. Test it on the back of your hand to make sure it’s not too hot. Apply the honey to your face using a foundation brush your don’t care about getting messy or your fingers. Let the honey dry for ten minutes then rinse it off with warm water.
Diluted tea tree oil is one of the best home remedies for acne and it also fades dark spots. Mix fifteen drops of 100% pure tea tree oil into 1 fl oz (30 ml) of aloe vera gel to make a tea tree oil acne gel remedy. Apply half a teaspoon of the gel to your entire face avoiding the eye area. Wear protective goggles and gloves when handling tea tree oil undiluted. For more instructions on how to safely make and apply tea tree oil for dark spots click here.
More tips to prevent dark spots and acne.
Use pore strips, face peels, and exfoliates in moderation. Pore strips and face peels fade dark spots but should only be used once a week or at most three times a week. Do not use an exfoliate more than once a week if you have sensitive skin or twice a week if you have oily or average skin. Overusing harsh treatments or remedies can cause skin damage and make dark spots and acne worse. Do not use peels or exfoliates after using salicylic acid. Using peels or exfoliates in general are OK when done in moderation. But using them after applying salicylic acid can damage the skin and make dark spots, scars, and acne worse. Also avoid using abrasive ingredients such as baking soda and sugar on acne to avoid causing dark spots and scars.